This position is responsible for leadership, strategic planning, innovation, research, new product development, vendor management, product launch and line management for the tent and shelter equipment lines in the Kelty brand.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Formulate and implement product development strategies through these actions:
- Investigate new trends and explore user needs that lead to new product opportunities and line extensions, including “white space” opportunities and price points.
- Conduct thorough market research to identify and validate opportunities.
- Utilize a distinct innovation process to prove out, develop and optimize new products
- Manage the research, design and development process from initial concept development to final product delivery.
- Deliver end user relevant category innovation.
- Investigate the opportunity for alternate materials, methods/automation, and suppliers.
- Develop 3-year product roadmap and annual customer/market specific product strategy
- Lead cross functional project teams in developing new products.
- Report and present project progress monthly to management team.
- Partner with overseas and domestic factories to ensure products comply with manufacturing requirements, and meet target price and margin levels.
- Work with Kelty marketing to ensure packaging and merchandising requirements are established and met.
- Develop, communicate, implement, and monitor processes to ensure timely completion in accordance to product development calendar for each season.
Develop and maintain detailed specifications for all products to ensure accurate and compliant component and manufacturing standards.
PRODUCT PERFORMANCE MEASUREMENT
Monitor, review and analyze performance to drive key metric improvements in sales, profit, and cash flow management.
Oversee and/or coordinate with USA and overseas offices. Coordinate of testing of brand and competitors’ products and provide meaningful analysis of test results to assist in development, product strategies and promotion.
Collaborate with Kelty’s Brand VP, Sales Managers and Marketing Manager to manage the implementation of marketing, merchandising, trade show, public relations and promotion strategies.
Collect industry and market intelligence to enable the ongoing planning process
Manage the implementation of the price strategies, taking into consideration competitive, cost and profit pressures.
- Must have excellent analytical skills.
- B.A. or equivalent required
- Must have 5-7+ years product management and new product development experience in consumer products.
- Outdoor industry experience, especially expertise in tents, shelters and related geometries preferred
- Knowledge of fabrics performance methods including standards for DWR, FR, and hydrostatic resistance also preferred
- Knowledge of manufacturers, and technologies a plus
- Hands on, start to finish design, development and production experience
- Proficient computer skills (Microsoft Office environment. Adobe Illustrator a plus.)
- Knowledge of the consumer goods industry, international sourcing, and forecasting/ planning/ purchasing/ distribution.
- Must be able to lead cross functional project teams on defined timelines
- Must be able to travel both domestically and internationally as needed.
- Strategic, Innovative, “Out of the box” thinker.
- Strong leadership skills; ability to lead a high-performance team.
- Proven track record of success in consumer product development and management.
- Excellent interpersonal and management skills to deal with customers, vendors and suppliers.
- Excellent presentation, verbal, written and communications skills.
- Analytical skills for evaluating product performance.
- International experience; ability to work with supply chain teams and overseas liaison offices.
- Enthusiasm, drive, positive attitude, and collaborative nature.
- Self-Motivated to achieve and exceed personal and team goals.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
This job description is an overview of the scope of responsibilities for this job and is not intended to be an inclusive list of job tasks and expectations. With the evolution of American Recreation Products, the responsibilities of this position may change. The job must be prepared to accept new responsibilities and transfer others.
To apply click on this link: https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=AM248
(or enter the url into your browser)